Monday, September 30, 2013

Take a Deep Breath ... Praying Psalm 33:13-22

Praying the Psalms...following SPU's Lectio Guides
September 30-October 6, 2013

First.
Read the assigned Psalms (or plan out a reading schedule for the week)
  • Psalms 1-2
  • Psalm 33
  • Psalm 150

Second.
Read or Listen to Dr. Frank Spina's Presentation:

Third. 
Take a Deep Breath...make the words of the Psalm your very own prayer.
Follow this guide for praying Psalm 33:13-22

___________________________________


Praying Psalm 33:13-22
(This marking * marks the beginning of each verse in each section of scripture below)

Verses 13-15.*The Lord looks down from heaven; he sees all humankind. *From where he sits enthroned he watches all the inhabitants of the earth— *he who fashions the hearts of them all, and observes all their deeds.
  1. Acknowledge.  Following the words of the psalm closely, let the Lord know that you're seeking to understand these words of scripture. Lord, you look down from heaven and see all humankind; from where you sit on the throne you watch everyone on earth. You fashion the hearts of them all and observe their deeds.
  2. Praise.  In freestyle language, praise the Lord for being this way. Lord, I praise you for sitting on the throne of heaven, powerful over all things.  It's amazing for me to think that you can see everything, everyone, all at once.  It's beyond my understanding, but I believe you can do this.  I praise you for the powerful attention you give to the people you've created.
  3. Personalize.  In freestyle language, make it personal in conversation with the Lord. Lord, even though you reign from heaven, I know that you see me and care about the details of my life.  You observe my deeds...some I'm proud of, others I wish you didn't know about. But you fashion peoples' hearts, and I ask you to fashion my heart to be pure like yours.  Amen.
 
Verses 16-17.
*A king is not saved by his great army; a warrior is not delivered by his great strength. *The war horse is a vain hope for victory, and by its great might it cannot save.
  1. Observe. Take some time to think about these verses. Envision the scene that is described.  Consider a modern-day equivalent.  Form a question and answer it in God's presence. Example: What do people in my world look for to save them, to ensure their security? Lord, reveal this to me.
  2. Confess.  Ask yourself the same question.  In answering it, offer a prayer of confession to God.  What do I look for to save me, to ensure my security?  (My job, money, friends, home alarm system, firearm, etc.)  Lord, I know I should look to you alone to be my savior.  I'm sorry for valuing other things that can't save over you, the only source of true security. Please forgive me.  Thank you for Jesus Christ, in whom I am forgiven.
 
 Verses 18-19.
*Truly the eye of the Lord is on those who fear him, on those who hope in his steadfast love, *to deliver their soul from death, and to keep them alive in famine.
  1. Personalize. In freestyle language based on the words of this psalm, pray them back to the Lord for yourself or someone you are praying for.  Lord, I know that your eye is on me. Thank you.  I hope in your steadfast love, but I want to rely on it more than I do.  Strengthen me to hope even more in your love. 
  2. Petition. Continue in freestyle mode, but move along with verse 19 to start asking the Lord to do what the Psalm says he does.  Deliver my soul from death (this is where I need your help...).  Keep me alive in this time of famine (this is what I feel starved for ... food, friendship, love, success, etc.).
 
 
Verses 20-22.
*Our soul waits for the Lord; he is our help and shield. *Our heart is glad in him, because we trust in his holy name. *Let your steadfast love, O Lord, be upon us, even as we hope in you.
  1. Personalize.  Repeat these intimate words, speaking to the God who is near.  My soul waits for you, Lord; you are my help and shield. My heart is glad in you, because I trust in your holy name. Let your steadfast love, O Lord, be upon me, even as I hope in you. (Repeat slowly at least three times).  Note: Personalization can be for a group as well as an individual...just use first person plural "we/our" instead of the singular "me/my".
  2. Breath Prayer.  Take a short phrase from your personalized prayer and capture it for repetition throughout the day ahead - you can take this with you wherever you go, whatever you're doing.  Say it silently as you breath in and out.  Example A: My soul waits for you, O Lord.  Example B: O Lord, you are my help and my hope.
Note: You may have noticed that verses 20-22 are easier to turn into a personal prayer.  You'll encounter many verses like these in the psalms; feel free to treasure them, memorize them, and go deep in prayer guided by them!
 
A concluding blessing:
May the Lord's steadfast love be upon you.
Pastor Kurt Helmcke

No comments: