Monday, October 7, 2013

Take a Deep Breath...Praying Psalm 144

Praying the Psalms
...following SPU's Lectio Guides
October 7-13


First.
Read the assigned Psalms (or plan out a reading schedule for the week)  
  • Psalms 8
  • Psalm 33 (repeat from last week)
  • Psalm 144

Second.
Read or Listen to Dr. Frank Spina's Presentation

Third. 
Take a Deep Breath...make the words of the Psalm your very own prayer.
Follow this guide for praying Psalm 144
 
____________________________________


Dr. Spina notes that Psalm 144 is “intensely personal, as emphasized by the pronouns” I, me, & my.  Pray Psalm 144 as your personal prayer, as one of God’s covenant people. 
 
Praying Psalm 144
(This marking * marks the beginning of each verse in each section of scripture below)

Verses 1-2
*Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; *my rock and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield, in whom I take refuge.
  1. Acknowledge. Simply praise God by saying the phrase “you are” before all the “my ____” phrases.  Example: Lord, you are my rock and my fortress; you are my stronghold and my deliverer; you are my shield.  In you I take refuge.  Repeat.
     
  2. Ask (Petition).  Simply ask God to be there for you by saying the word “be” before all the “my _____” phrases.  Example: Lord, be my rock.  Lord, be my fortress.  Lord, be my stronghold.  Lord, be my deliverer.  Lord, be my shield.  Lord, provide a refuge for me. Repeat.

Verses 3-4
*Lord, what are human beings that you regard them, or mortals that you think of them? *They are like a breath; their days are like a passing shadow.
  1. Observe & Reflect.  What reminds you of the vulnerability of being human?  How do you experience this vulnerability?
  2. Confess. Example: Eternal Lord, compared to you we are like a breath. Our days on this earth are relatively brief, like a passing shadow.  I often forget this and think/act like I’m the permanent center of the universe. Help me face up to the vulnerability that comes with my humanity.  I am amazed that you care about our brief lives, but you do, and I thank you.
 
Verses 5-11
*Bow your heavens, O Lord, and come down; touch the mountains so that they smoke. *Make the lightning flash and scatter them; send out your arrows and rout them.  *Stretch out your hand from on high; set me free and rescue me from the mighty waters, from the hand of aliens,  *whose mouths speak lies, and whose right hands are false.  *I will sing a new song to you, O God; upon a ten-stringed harp I will play to you, *the one who gives victory to kings, who rescues his servant David. *Rescue me from the cruel sword, and deliver me from the hand of aliens, whose mouths speak lies, and whose right hands are false. 
  • Ask (Petition).  Twice in this series of verses the Psalmist cries “rescue me.”  Consider what you want God to rescue you from, and pray this as a list, going into depth as you feel the need to. Example: Lord, rescue me from ____ [a bully, someone with more power who is taking advantage of their position, a difficult situation, depression, a critical spirit, anger, etc.].

Verses 12-15
*May our sons in their youth be like plants full grown, our daughters like corner pillars, cut for the building of a palace.  *May our barns be filled, with produce of every kind; may our sheep increase by thousands, by tens of thousands in our fields, *and may our cattle be heavy with young. May there be no breach in the walls, no exile, and no cry of distress in our streets.  *Happy (blessed) are the people to whom such blessings fall; happy are the people whose God is the Lord.

  1. Prayerful Imagining.  Read verses 12-14 and get a sense of what kind of life or environment these words are describing.  Offering your imagined reality to God by praying a similar prayer in your own words: Lord, may ___________________.
  2. Breath Prayer. Read verse 15.  From these words develop a breath prayer to take with you throughout your day.  Example A: Lord, you are my God. I am blessed by you.  Example B: Blessed are the people whose God is the Lord. I am blessed.
__________________________________

Concluding Thought:

Remember that the Lord is your rock & your fortress.  Call upon him to take action in your life, your world.

Blessings in Christ,

Pastor Kurt

No comments: