Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Take a Deep Breath ... Preparing for Praying the Psalms


Take a deep breath...
 
It’s what we do to fully appreciate our surroundings in nature

standing at a vista overlooking the water or the mountains

It’s what we do to relax when afflicted by anxious thoughts

...I need new perspective and fresh energy for facing this trial

It’s what we do when we’re about to jump into deep water

how long will I be under until I resurface?

 
For Christians through the ages, reading and praying the Psalms has been our way of breathing deeply in the spiritual life. 

 
We take a deep breath of the Spirit when we praise God for creation along with Psalm 8 …

Lord, our Sovereign, how majestic is your name in all the earth!

You have set your glory above the heavens.

We take a deep breath of the Spirit when we breathe in the words of Psalm 27:1 & 46:1 …

The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? 

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

We struggle for the deep breath of God’s Spirit in saying the words of Psalm 22, as Jesus did on the cross …

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?

 
Lyrics from the popular song “Radioactive” by rock band Imagine Dragons remind us that not every deep breath is life-giving – it really matters what you’re breathing in!
 

I’m waking up to ash and dust;

I wipe my brow and I sweat my rust;

I’m breathing in the chemicals.

(audible deep breath and slow, labored exhale)

 
Alternatively, the deep breath God provides through the Psalms is aptly described in these lyrics from the song “Breathe” by the Christian rock band Superchick – itself a psalm sung, a prayer prayed, to the Lord:
 

Please tell me you’ll fight this fight

I can’t see without your light

I need you to breathe into my life

 
Starting in October and continuing through December, the focus of my weekly blog will be to take a deep breath from one psalm each week and learn how to pray it, to make it our very own prayer to God.  I invite you to follow along – http://lectiocoach.blogspot.com - as we invite God to breathe into our lives.

 
Together in Christ,

Pastor Kurt        

No comments: