Monday, November 3, 2014

Our Tragic Flaws ... Abraham & Sarah

November 3

Genesis 12:1–24:67
Exclusive Election and Inclusive Purpose
Read Dr. Spina’s commentary at www.spu.edu/lectio

Summary

Thirteen chapters on one of the most high-profile characters in the entire Bible…that’s a lot to take in within the span of seven days!  Be sure to pace yourself – set aside daily reading time to make regular progress through the text.


Walking with God
One of the greatest scenes of walking with God is the call of Abram in Genesis 12.  The Lord speaks to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you.”  The Lord promises to bless Abram and make his ancestors into a great nation, so that all peoples on earth will be blessed through him.   Abram responds in faith, and starts walking with God in the direction God points out.  One two occasions, at Shechem and Bethel, Abram built an altar to the Lord and called on his name – Abram continued conversing with the God who spoke to him.

In Chapter 15 God establishes his special covenant with Abram.  In chapter 17 the covenant deepens, and Abram and Sarai become Abraham and Sarah.  And for the most part, Abraham continues to walk with God, passing some very significant tests of faith along the way.

Stumbling – the Tragic Flaw (Hamartia)
A Self-preservation instinct that puts loved ones at risk

On two different occasions Abraham faces a powerful adversary and acts as if Sarah is not his wife but his sister in order to save his own skin.  In each situation, God takes care of things, but not before Sarah is made vulnerable and Abraham looks like a coward.

Genesis 12:10-20. Heading to Egypt because of a famine, Abram is worried that the Pharaoh would be attracted to his wife Sarai and kill him in order to have her.  Abram’s bright idea is for Sarai to pass herself off as Abram’s sister.  God takes the initiative and lets Pharaoh know that something isn’t right.

Genesis 20:1-13. When Abraham and Sarah were in Gerar he did the same thing, saying of his wife “She is my sister.”  Abimelek, king of Gerar, “sent for Sarah and took her.”  God speaks to Abimelek in a dream and says, “You are as good as dead because of the woman you have taken; she is a married woman.”  Abimelek resolves the situation and asks Abraham why he did this.  Abraham replied, “I said to myself, ‘There is surely no fear of God in this place, and they will kill me because of my wife.’  Besides, she really is my sister, the daughter of my father though not of my mother; and she became my wife.  And when God had me wander from my father’s household, I said to her, ‘This is how you can show your love to me: Everywhere we go, say of me, “He is my brother.”’”

Personal Identification Questions
  • Where might this tragic flaw show up in your story?




  • Have you ever allowed someone else to take the heat while protecting yourself?  Why do you think you did this?  What were you afraid of?  What ended up happening?




  • Have you ever risked your own safety or reputation to protect another person?  What was the situation, and what was the result of your action?  What do you think contributed to your courageousness?


Restored…God continues to walk with us
Abraham’s stumbling doesn’t keep God from moving the two of them forward along the path of his plan.  In both instances, God is the one who cleans up the mess Abraham makes.  God remains in covenant relationship with Abraham even when he doesn’t deserve it…one of the great narratives of grace in the Hebrew Scriptures.


Prayer of Confession
LORD, why do I sometimes think primarily about preserving myself while allowing others to take the heat?  I’m sorry…
  • For staying quiet when I should speak up in defense of someone or to challenge injustice
  • For seeking to ensure my comfort at the expense of others
  • For taking for granted my relationships with family & friends who depend on me
Lead me not into temptation, and deliver me from evil. Amen.


Encouragement
Joshua 1:9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

John 15:12-14 (Jesus speaking) My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.  You are my friends if you do what I command.

Romans 12:10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves.

No comments: