Monday, December 9, 2013

Take a Deep Breath ... Praying Psalm 119

Praying the Psalms
...following SPU's Lectio Guides
December 9 - 15 
 
First.
Read the assigned Psalm (or plan out a reading schedule for the week ... try one each day)  
  • Psalm 119 (if 174 verses is too much, consider the list of selected verses below)

Second.
Read or Listen to Dr. Frank Spina's Presentation
Third. 
   
Take a Deep Breath, and make the words of the Psalm your very own prayer.
Follow this guide ...
 
__________


Praying Psalm 119

 
Dr. Frank Spina, in his commentary on Psalm 119, suggests that Christians might have an immediate negative reaction to Psalm 119 because of its focus on “the law” (Torah).  If this resonates with you, be sure to read what he has to say…you’ll see things from a new perspective.  Another reason for a negative reaction is the length & repetitiveness of Psalm 119.  It’s a challenge to read and maintain interest: 176 verses, many of which repeat the same basic message.

A couple years ago I took on a personal spiritual challenge of reading a verse of Psalm 119 each weekday morning.  It took me nearly a year, but by God’s grace I made it through!  I discovered great treasure in Psalm 119. 

 
Quick Conversations

One of the discoveries I made was to recognize that most verses of the psalm are mini-prayers, “I-You” conversations between the reader and God.  Try praying Psalm 119:10 slowly and meditatively…and see where God guides you: “I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands.”

 
Prayers Before Scripture Reading

Another discovery was to realize that most verses from Psalm 119 make great “Prayers of Illumination,” a brief prayer to pray before reading a passage from scripture found anywhere in the Bible.  Try praying Psalm 119:105 (a classic favorite) before you read a scripture passage of your choice: Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.”

 
A Treasury of Breath Prayers

Finally, I discovered that each verse can be memorized in the morning and prayed throughout the day.  They are all candidates for being “breath prayers,” breathing in the first line and breathing out the second.  Repeating one verse over and over again – meditating on them, as Psalm 119 would put it – can really nurture a sense of closeness to the Lord.  Try praying Psalm 119:37.  Repeat it slowly until it’s in your memory, then take it with you into your day and pray it often: “Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according to your word.”

 
Here’s a quick list of Psalm 119 verses not to miss out on:

Psalm 119:10
I seek you with all my heart;
    do not let me stray from your commands.

Psalm 119:11 [Classic Favorite]
I have hidden your word in my heart
    that I might not sin against you.


Psalm 119:15
I meditate on your precepts
    and consider your ways.


Psalm 119:18 [Classic Favorite]
Open my eyes that I may see
    wonderful things in your law.


Psalm 119:25
I am laid low in the dust;
    preserve my life according to your word.


Psalm 119:37
Turn my eyes away from worthless things;
    preserve my life according to your word.


Psalm 119:68
You are good, and what you do is good;
    teach me your decrees.


Psalm 119:94
Save me, for I am yours;
    I have sought out your precepts.


Psalm 119:97 [Classic Favorite]
Oh, how I love your law!
    I meditate on it all day long.


Psalm 119:103
How sweet are your words to my taste,
    sweeter than honey to my mouth!


Psalm 119:105 [Classic Favorite]
Your word is a lamp for my feet,
    a light on my path.


Psalm 119:114
You are my refuge and my shield;
    I have put my hope in your word.


Psalm 119:164
Seven times a day I praise you
    for your righteous laws.


Psalm 119:174
I long for your salvation, Lord,
    and your law gives me delight.



_____Blessing_______

Stay close to God by staying close to God's word.  And may God's word be a lamp for your feet and a light on your path.

Pastor Kurt

No comments: